Linking Relief Rehabilitation and Development (LRRD) for the benefit of "transitional countries" was set-up by the EU in 1196.
By "transitions" we mean situations where a country should "transit" from a state of traumatism to a state of recovery oriented toward a state of "normal development" (e.g. Bangladesh, Burkina Faso, Indonesia, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Zimbabwe).
The objective of the study is to advise the EC in the design and the implementation of interventions addressing Transitions situations and contributing to a better linkage between Relief, Rehabilitation and Development. Specific objectives include:
- develop a Reference Document (including a "tool box") which takes stock of lessons learnt by the EC (in particular by the EU Delegations) in dealing with Transition situations and in linking relief, rehabilitation and development interventions;
- propose recommendations for removing the main bottlenecks, within the EC instruments and internal organisation for better addressing Transition situations; and
- bring technical assistance to the EC and EU Delegations in linking relief rehabilitation and development interventions in contexts of Transition
Technical expertise provided in:
- Short and synthetic recall of the main characteristics of the different Transition situations (e.g. post-conflict situations, on- going or post-economic and food crisis situations, post-disaster situations, fragile states etc.)
- Main lessons learnt from countries which have successfully moved from crisis to a stable situation enabling a genuine development process (e.g. Malawi)
- Analysis of different case-studies based on present EC interventions addressing specific Transition Contexts in different countries
- Study to address the problems related with the implementation of the "Paris Declaration Principles" in a context of Transition
- Study will present a set of Technical Sheets (The Tool Box) presenting to the Delegations how the different EC instruments can be better used in the context of Transition.
- Synthesis of the main weaknesses of the EC instruments presently used in the context of Transition Situations
- Lessons learnt in the identification, formulation and implementation of EC interventions in the context of Transition situations and following different types of approaches; projects, sector programmes, budget support, trust funds etc